Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My fiancé is station in Kabul Afghanistan residing in a camp…

Customer Question
My fiancé is station...

My fiancé is station in Kabul Afghanistan residing in a camp there. He is an army commander who should have retired March 10. Yes no access to his banking in the knighted states and this is why we are hiring a lawyer to help them gain access to his banking while in Afghanistan trying to make it home

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes no access to his banking in the knighted states and this is why we are hiring a lawyer to help them gain access to his banking while in Afghanistan trying to make it home. His general commanders won’t let him leave until he has all his items shipped from Afghanistan. Once everything is on its way here they will let him come home but he needs money to pay for his shipping and has no access to his banking in the United States

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His general commanders won’t let him leave until he has all his items shipped from Afghanistan. Once everything is on its way here they will let him come home but he needs money to pay for his shipping and has no access to his banking in the United States Well yes there is something else. He has gold to ship home which will cost a great amount of money in it costs more each day it is there. This is why he needs access to his banking in the United States to pay for the shipping so he’s allowed to come home

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Military Law
3/27/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Ma'am. You are being scammed. None of the facts that you have outlined here fit with actual military procedure.

First, the fact that you can even converse with him through social media means that he would also have to his banking through electronic means. Second, the military does not make us ship goods from deployed locations. We aren't even allowed to take many possessions with us in the first place. When we are sent home, they ship it for us, for free. Third, people are not kept beyond their retirement date in a deployed environment. In fact, if he was retiring in 2018, they wouldn't have deployed him in the first place. Fourth, he is not shipping gold anywhere. Even if we ignore 1-3, and pretend he is shipping gold somewhere, you are being asked to be party to international law violations.

I have seen this scam many times. A person, usually out of Africa, steals or creates a social media page and then uses it to connect with people and convince people with little military knowledge that they are about to retire, about to come into a lot of money and they just need to get home...and all they need a little cash, which you'd be asked to wire to some location, to never be seen again.

I wish I could tell you differently, but you should cut all ties with this person.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 28 days ago

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer