Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

€Veteran Aid & Attendance and Housebound In 2010 my mother…

Customer Question
€Veteran Aid & Attendance and...
€Veteran Aid & Attendance and Housebound In 2010 my mother was approved for the Aid & Attendance benefit. In 2014, I failed to return a form on time, due to an illness. They then said she did not qualify, stopped her benefit of $1130, and said she owed the VA $50,000. The VA started debiting my deceased fathers pension, $400-$600 each month. We went through AmeriVets, Ron Doty who helped us with the original application, he sent an appeal that was denied. Is there anything else we can do? I am having to pay for most of her care now, as her income is only around $2000 with expenses over $4500 a month.
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Military Law
3/28/2018
Military Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 25 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am ok with waiting for an answer.
Thank you.
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 25 days ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this matter?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Hi Mr Simmons, yes I have a question. Is there any other way to stop the debit in error and re-instate the benefit?
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 17 days ago

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer