Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I’m currently deployed on a combact deployment and I had an…

Customer Question
Hello I’m currently deployed...

Hello I’m currently deployed on a combact deployment and I had an incident where I fell out of a guard tower & got a tbi . Shortly after that I had problems with aggressive behavior & received an article 15 for disrespecting a NCO . Is there any way for me to fight that because my mood changes were an after affect of my TBI

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes they still are trying to give me an article 15

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Military Law
3/26/2018
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. If you could get a doctor to state that your condition likely led to your behavior, then you could try to use that as a defense in your Article 15, or as a basis for an appeal if you are punished under Article 15. That said, it is more likely to be seen as a mitigating factor in punishment and not an absolute defense since, generally speaking, a medical condition is not an excuse/defense for violations of the UCMJ. There are some exceptions, as touched on above when it is impossible to conform conduct because of a condition.

The problem with claiming that you could not conform your behavior to what is acceptable because of a medical condition, is that it could lead to separation from the military on the basis of a medical condition.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If I don't respond right away it is because I am offline or assisting someone else and I will be back with you as soon as possible. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 26 days ago

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason we are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer