Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If u finish you contract in the army and claim va

disability. Can you come back...
If u finish you contract in the army and claim va disability. Can you come back in again?
3/26/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. It is possible to reenlist or commission in the military with a VA rated disability. However, it will be necessary to get a waiver of your disability and also the MEPS physician will have to determine that you can still perform all of the necessary duties related to military service despite your disability. In addition, if you are granted a waiver and return to active-duty, you will no longer be entitled to receive compensation from the VA for the rated disability as there is a Federal Statute that prohibits that dual compensation.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

If i was a sgt then got out the military. Can i get back in as a sgt. Or would they demote me one rank?

If you were accessed back into the military, then you should be reinstated to the rank you had when you separated.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer