Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am researching Gouverneur Kemble Warren, past commander of…

Customer Question
I am researching Gouverneur...

I am researching Gouverneur Kemble Warren, past commander of V Corps who had a military court of inquiry, which I would assume would be something akin to an AR 15-6 investigation today except it brought all of the players were still alive after the Civil War.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Can you help me find out where such a document can be found?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This should be very simple. There are official archives I am fairly certain as most of the participants were General Officerrs or retired general officers.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/24/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You state that you believe this will be simple...what are you referring to?

Philip, I clearly stated my question above. I am researching Gouverneur Kemble Warren, past commander of V Corps who had a military court of inquiry, which I would assume would be something akin to an AR 15-6 investigation today except it brought all of the players were still alive after the Civil War. I am looking for the official transcripts of the Court of Inquiry.

Hmm...you added that last part (the part about looking for the transcript)...what year did this happen?

US Grant was no longer President. It was during the tenure of Rutherford Hayes. 1877-1881

And your question...are you asking where to search for such a document? After nearly 150 years??

Have you tried the National Archives?

Philip, This court was almost completely comprised of General Officers. Philip Sheridan was an LTG and Warred was MG.
I have not, but suspect that might be the place to go. Thank you.

The National Archives is THE repository for records. IF the records exist? They would be in the National Archives.
That said, they do not typically keep records of courts in inquiry (you are correct, that is an AR 15-6) more than a few years...there is no law that requires it. But IF the records were made part of the military file of the subject? Then the National Archives may have them

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil