Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

On the military form 1380e what is the difference from

On the military form...

On the military form 1380e what is the difference from offense and charged offense

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is in order to see if I will be disqualified to purchase a pistol permit

3/23/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Which blocks of that form are you referring to?

Are you referring to section E?

Blocks 3 and 5
That form is outdated the new one is dated Sept 2013
I’m sorry I meant DA form 4833

DA Form 4833 is commanders report of disciplinary action...is that the issue?

Well yes I was wondering if that would disqualify me from purchasing a pistol

Thanks

The blocks 3 and 5 simply reflect the difference between "preferral/referral" (this is the action of brining charges) and the "findings" (what actually happened)

Block 3 is for preferral / referral information (so this shows all charges in the past) where block 5 shows findings (what happened with the charges)

If you have no convictions at court martial you have no issues with pistol purchase.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil