Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son's grandmother passed a wk ago. She left my son $2,500…

Customer Question
My son's grandmother passed...

My son's grandmother passed a wk ago. She left my son $2,500 in a ins policy. The sister(His Aunt) is over the estate. She told my son she needed the 2,500 to help with the funeral expenses. We do not know how much money is in the estate. She only told him she only had 2,000 and she needed his money to help out. We only have her word that there is very little money in the estate. His grandmother told him that she had left him an ins. policy. Is there a legal way for my son to find out how much is in the estate?.and do she have a legal right to ask my son to sign over his inheritance to her for the funeral. Thank You. SGM. USA Ret.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

His Grandmother lives in Texas and my son lives in New York.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

His name is ***** ***** ins policy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do my son have a legal right to look into his grandmother estate to see if there is enough money for his grandmother funeral. He is only being told they need his money to help with the funeral.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/22/2018
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
My sympathies for your family's loss.
A life insurance policy passes outside of probate directly to the named beneficiary so the executor has no authorit over those proceeds.
When a person does with a will probate is open and that is a public record so a person can obtain a copy of the will.The executor has a fiduciary duty to the estate and must keep heirs reasonably informed and provide a copy of the will upon request.
Please seehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tyla.org/tyla/assets/File/38668TexasProbatePassportWebReady.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjByICD6f7ZAhUDMawKHSNJA6EQFjABegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3TIQAkoOemBbmlqN5Gl7j9