Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son has entered the DEP program with the Iowa National…

My son has entered the...
My son has entered the DEP program with the Iowa National Guard. However, he now wants to get out of the DEP and enter the Air Force as a regular, full time airman. How can he get out of the DEP?
3/21/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean "how can he get out of DEP"? Has he made the request to his commander? IF so what was the response?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has a meeting this weekend. He wants to not go through with his delayed entry into the national guard and do a regular enlistment in the Air Force. He’s done MEPS and the enlistment, but now he’s in between MEPS and going to basic.

THanks

THe ONLY way to get released IF he wants to join another service is with his commanders permission.
He can, and should, make the request to his commander.

IF the commander denies the request (they may...the commander has discretion...they do not have to grant this request)? Then I would urge your son to honor the contract. If he does not go to bootcamp, they will release him from the guard...but his discharge will not all him to reenter any service

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This advice does not seem to be consistent with the Recruiting regs. As I understand it, he actually has no obligation to do anything until he returns to MEPS to ship to basic. Even then, if he doesn’t report there’s nothing they can do.

No idea what "reg" you are referring to...but if he does not ship at a MINIMUM he will receive a bad "RE Code" on his discharge...and that will require a waiver to reenter.

And that is a problem. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

Also, since he is guard? They can give him an OTH if he does not ship...the guard is different than Army Reserve.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer