Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My husband is retired 24 years from the Military. Sadly we…

Customer Question
My husband is retired...

My husband is retired 24 years from the Military. Sadly we are filing for divorce. I the spouse was short 4months for health benefits. Am I entitled to 50% of his military retirements pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I did last may when this all started. I went on base. The young man told me I was and that to also ask to reinstate survival benifits, can I do this

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

That depends...can you provide some more context?

I understand he served 24 years...was this active duty or as a reservist?

HOw many of the service years were you married to him?

Active Duty
I was married to him in 1993 and he joined in 1987
married to him for 18 years whist he was active duty
are you there?

I am

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

Have not heard from you...are you able to speak on the phone?

Also, what state are you divorcing in?

OK...I have to step away for a bit...if you can let me know what state you are divorcing in I can provide an answer when I return