Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Is it true in that a husband and wife can't file for a

Customer Question
Is it true in...

Is it true in Virginia that a husband and wife can't file for a divorce without filing for separation for a year and if they don't get back together then they can file for a divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have the husband and wife taken? Has she filed any papers in VA family court?

No she hasn"t

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No ,my grandson is the one wanting a divorce on the grounds of adultry.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He will deploy April 11

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/20/2018
Military Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Virginia requires a one year separation period for a no-fault divorce (or six months, if they don't have kids). However, it is possible to file a fault-based divorce on the grounds of adultery without a separation period. Your grandson is the one who would have to file, as the injured party. It's not likely that the divorce would be finalized before he deploys on April 11, but he can get things started before he goes.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney