Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

During a tornado disaster, a military officer directly

During a tornado disaster...

During a tornado disaster, a military officer directly ordered untrained subordinates into a harmful environment to assist the medical staff. What authorization does an officer have to make this direct order?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This happened approximately 40 years ago and I was injured and are still disabled today from the injury.

3/20/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Was the officer who issued the order in command of the troops that received the order?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
During a tornado that destroyed a city in Texas, I had just arrived from basic training and was to begin studying radiology when I was directly ordered to work in the radiology department of the hospital. After two weeks of 14 hour shifts, I became very ill and was sent to the military clinic where the medical doctor treated me with pencilliun, a drug which was on my medical records that I am allergic to. I became very, very ill and have been very ill ever since--diagnosed with several immunse-deficient conditions. Question: Did the officer have the authority to order an untrained subordinate in to a hazardous work environment. If so or not, what military law do I use to present my case to the va?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, the officer was not in command--just passing through the disaster area giving orders to students to help where he deemed necessary. We had just arrived on base. No knowledge or training in radiology--especially safety precautions.

Wait...what??

Is this a VA claims question? Did this happen long ago? Or did this happen recently (and if so, what does the VA have to do with this)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This happened approximately 40 years ago. I have filed a VA claim which was denied and I am appealing because the VA wants legalities to support my case.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Thank you for using the phone option. Please give a call (or let me know if you can not see my #)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. I will follow your advice. Goodbye.

:)

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer