Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am currently under an investigation from my command. Me…

I am currently under...

I am currently under an investigation from my command. Me and a friend of 10 years went on a trip and he is an e-8 and I am an e-6 in the same command. When we first met he was an e-5 and I was an e-4. The command is charging us with artical 92. What can come from this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No. I was told that if I was to talk to anyone that they would have to out it in the investigation.

3/20/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, are you are active duty or a reservist?

Active

What do you mean "what could come of this"? Are you asking how this can be prosecuted?

I am. I mean we have a pre-existing relationship

The "preexisting relationship" is not relevant.

Are you asking if they can take you to court martial?

is there anyway that we won't get punished

Have either of you made statements on this? IF so what was said?

I did. It was a brief statement on how and when we meet and how we climb the ranks in the navy together. But he just climbed them faster than I did. I put nothing about our trip in it. This trip was a surprise for my birthday and our wives coordinated the whole thing.

THanks
Are they running DRB/XOI?

What you are describing, if you had a personal relationship with a Master Chief as a 1st Class? That is fraternization. It can be punished at Mast...or at court martial. Or even resolved at DRB/XOI.

The fact this is preexisting is mitigating...so it may be that they agree to resolve this with EMI or counseling.

But they could bring this to Mast.
It is unlikely it would go to court unless you refused Mast

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Thank you

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer