Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I fell asleep at work not as a lookout or sentinel, how bad…

I fell asleep at...

I fell asleep at work not as a lookout or sentinel, how bad is this

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

It just happened and I got chewed out by a cheif and I will have to speak to my QAO when I go in tomorrow

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you provide some context?

I was at work performing a preflight operation and I was waiting for aircrew to come on the radio, so I stepped inside the jet to stay warm and after a while I fell asleep

Which service is this ? Navy? AF? Marine Corps?
What is your rank?

DO you have any prior NJP's or formal counselings?

I am in the Navy, Airman (E-3) and 1 formal counseling plus this one

Thanks
Are they taking this to DRB or XOI?

I haven't been told anything about that, it just happened yesterday. I will have to speak to Quality Assurance Officer, my qualification will be revoked and I will be put on EMI is all I have been told

THanks
This COULD go to Mast. Particularly since you have a prior counseling. That said, if they are going to give you EMI? That is a good thing...as it may be they agree to end it there.

But to answer your question, they could take you to Mast for this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

If the prior counseling was for a different reason, like not getting Equipment Qualification in a timely manner, does it still affect this situation?

Not really...any prior counseling is a bad thing. But what you are describing, honestly, is not the end of the world...they are not going to take you to court martial for this. Mast? Perhaps. And if you are lucky, they will run EMI and move on

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer