Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Just had a quick question about uncharacteried discharges..

Just had a quick...

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

States

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I am out of the military

3/19/2018
Allen M., Esq.

What is your question about these discharges?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Allen, So I joined the ARNG in 2009 and completed BCT and was then doing OCS training one weekend a month. In about my 6th month in I sustained an ankle injury that required surgery. I had the surgery and then after a lengthy rehab was still having issues with the ankle and was discharged with an Uncharacterized discharge RE3 , reason: failure to attend IET phase I and II within 24months. I'm guessing they gave this reason because I had gone over the 2yr mark while I was rehabbing. I did not seek a medical discharge because I was not interested in collecting disability. I have accepted a federal contractor job that requires a Secret security clearance. I have filled out the SF86 accurately and explained the situation with the discharge in the notes of the SF86 form. Would you foresee this causing any issues with my interim clearance being granted? I had previously held a secret clearance that was finalized in 2008 and I left that fed contractor job in 2013. Thanks

No, it would not. An uncharacterized discharge is not punitive. It is not intended to be negative or cause issues in the civilian or government world. It is merely a reflection of the fact that you didn't serve long enough to be rated with a different status. The narrative there makes it clear that this was just a time issue and had nothing to do with misconduct or disqualification due to mental instability (things that some people get uncharacterized discharges for).

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Allen for the quick response. As an aside, do you think it would be worth me attempting to have the Reason be modified to something more accurate for what actually happened, ie medical?

You could file a DD Form 149 with the records corrections board, stating that it is an error to omit that you missed the time frames due to a medical reason.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer