Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My husband served 6 years in the air force as a military…

My husband served 6...

My husband served 6 years in the air force as a military pilot during the Korean War. He is 84 now and needs to be living in assisted living home. He has a tremor and cannot eat well so he does not eat. He is depressed and does not want to live.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Daytona Bch Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

My son has be got nowhere. They said that since he can drive, get dressed and walk, he is not disenabled enough

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter and my son have both tried to help him to no avail. They gave me permission to do the research even though I am his ex.

3/19/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

I would like to know who is the military advocate for this area.
No

I am not sure what you mean by that question...are you asking how he can file for Veterans Benefits? If so is he in Daytona?

Sorry...no to what?

Benefits yes. He lives in New Symina beach fl
NO to the call.

Thanks
He will be eligible for a "wartime pension"...if he served during wartime, there is money available to help offset the cost of care. Just a moment, I will type up some thoughts...

Thank you.

Thanks for your patience

To file for the wartime pension benefit, he should use a VSO (Veterans Services Officer). There are, literally, over 100 different organizations that perform this work. In my opinion (as a former VSO) the ONLY one you should use is your County VSO. This is a state/county employee who will have ample experience in filing these types of claims.

You can find your local County VSO here
http://floridavets.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/County-Veteran-Service-Officers.pdf

The CVSO can help him file this form:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21P-527EZ-ARE.pdf

Which is needed to obtain the pension

You should also discuss with the CVSO the VA program called "aid and attendance"...this is an additional pension that is paid to vets who need help with their daily living needs (like eating)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Thank you Attorney Simmons for the information regarding finding a military advocate and the aid that is needed for his care. Barbara R. Cameron

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer