Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My brother is unable to get a job and can not leave the

Hello. My brother is...

Hello. My brother is unable to get a job and can not leave the state of CA due to probation. He is about to be homeless on April 24th. I am active duty USMC and I am stationed in California. He is an adult relative. Can I claim him as a dependent to prevent him from being homeless? I am single and live in the barracks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I asked my chain of command about it and they told me to ask IPAC. I figured I would try my own research first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother can't get a job because he has a felony gun charge and he cant join the military or peace corps because he has been diagnosed with asthma, PTSD, and he has other possible undiagnosed mental disorders.

3/19/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, how old is your brother?

He is turning 29 in November
Unfortunately I don't have a phone right now.

Thanks Marine

That is not possible. That, it is not possible, under federal law, to claim an adult brother as a dependent.

In some circumstances you can claim a parent...or a brother who is 22 or younger...or a brother that is named a ward of the court.

But if your brother is not a ward of the court (meaning he is not incompetent)? Then it is not possible to add him as a dependent.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can claim your brother as your dependent, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Is there any thing else myself or my family can do to help him? Is there anyway we can help him get his probation transferred to another state?

If he has someplace to live in the other state? You can use the interstate compact process to request transfer (he would make the request to his PO). But he needs to have a place to live and the prospect of work to convince his PO to support this. The interstate compact is discretionary...he can request the transfer, but if the state does not approve the request? Then he does not have recourse (since there is no "right" to a transfer)

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
thank you!