Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I don't know if you can help me or not but I'm not sure

I don't know if...

I don't know if you can help me or not but I'm not sure where to turn. My husband's ex is suing me for his VGLI life insurance. When they divorced, it was in the divorce papers that he was to start a policy for her with her being the beneficiary but the only policy was the one for me. Now she is suing me for it. Do I have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband's ex taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

This morning, I received a Notice of Disposition with a letter stating she was filing suit against me in he Court of Common Pleas

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of....

3/18/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. It's very hard for us to answer a question like "what recourse do I have" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband passed away on February 12. I received the insurance money from VGLI on February 27. I had no idea what was in his divorce papers regarding here needing to be an insurance policy for his ex to cover any alimony that was missed (and there was). This morning, I was served a letter with an accompanying Notice of Disposition stating I was being sued by his ex wife for the money I received from the VGLI to cover all of the alimony payments my husband did not make. He did not start a policy for her. He only had me as the beneficiary on the only VGLI policy. My question is, is there anything I can do to fight this? Will I be force to turn over that money to his ex?

Thanks

You would need to hire an attorney to "fight this". IF his ex is suing you, then you will need to have an attorney represent you

ON the bright side, insurance proceeds are a contract...if you were named as a beneficiary, you get the money.

I suspect it will be difficult for the ex to get around this law...but you will need to have an attorney assist you. The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since it was up to him to do this and he did not do it, can I be help liable for what the did not do? I was not married to her. I did not have anything to do with the marriage or the divorce. How is it that she can come after me for the money he left to me? And so far, there is no court date. It's only a disposition date. Does that usually lead to a court date?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What exactly does a disposition date entail?

You need a lawyer. Now (before the deposition). The depo is the first part of the process. As I explained previously, the law is on your side...but you need a lawyer to help you through the process (or you risk a judgment against you)

A depo is a process that allows their attorney to question you under oath.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you.......

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer