Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I filed for VA disability compensation in February 2016. In…

Customer Question
I filed for VA...

I filed for VA disability compensation in February 2016. In July of 2017 I received a final award of 30% (crdp). My ex-spouse is to receive 5/12s (41.66%) of my retired pay. How can I get DFSA to return the overpayment my ex-spouse was receiving from April 2016 to when my final award letter was received?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I am retired. I have sent two letters to DFAS and spoke with several individuals on the phone. Today the person I talked with was the only one who fully understood my claim and said DFAS will not do anything and to seek a civil action against my ex.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/16/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Why do you believe this was an overpayment?

Again, why do you believe DFAS overpaid...did they not follow the court order?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer