Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was wondering does the military recognize domestic

Customer Question
Good afternoon i was...

Good afternoon i was wondering does the military recognize domestic partnerships between male and female ? As far as having them as dependents?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York, Army reserves

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes , they wasn’t to sure about the answer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No , just looking for answers in regards ***** ***** topic.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

For purposes of establishing a dependent, no it does not. It recognizes all forms of marriage that are recognized by the states.

There was a period of time where domestic partnerships were recognized for same sex couples, prior to the Supreme Court striking down the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Once that was struck down, the need to recognize domestic partners for couples that could not get married was no longer present.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer