Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have a student who is a high school senior and wants to go…

Customer Question
I have a student...

I have a student who is a high school senior and wants to go to college now and has received a full scholarship to college. However, he has gotten his blood drawn, etc. for the National Guard (I think it's called Medical Processing). He said he has taken the Oath, but he has not signed any documents yet. Also, he has not done Basic Training (but he has participated in some drills). He graduates at the end of May 2018. Is it too late for him to get out of the National Guard? What steps can he take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes, in Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, not yet. He's scared to call his recruiter because he says he's a little "mean/tough".

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/16/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

If the student has signed the contract? Then he is obliged to honor the contract. If he does not? Then the Army can issue him a "other than honorable" discharge. This is a "bad" discharge that could impact his ability to gain employment going forward.

He can request, in writing, through his chain of command, to be released. Though the Army is not required to grant that request. Still, if his goal is to get out before bootcamp? Then I would write the letter.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer