Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I'm getting Chaptered out for APFT failure. I was given a…

I'm getting Chaptered out...

I'm getting Chaptered out for APFT failure. I was given a bar that stated that I had to pass two APFT tests consecutively in order to lift the bar. I passed a Record APFT in December but failed a Diagnostic APFT in January. My question is, can my command still chapter me. Something doesn't seem right about the bar?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've started the chapter process. It hasn't gone to legal yet.

3/15/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Have you failed two apft's?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm also concerned. Will I get a general discharge for APFT failure. If I do get a general my future will be over.

If you failed 2 APFT's they can chapter you.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that they can not run a chapter, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will I get a General Discharge? Or an honorable?

Most likely, general.

That is my experience...if you do not complete your contract, they will issue a general discharge

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can I do to make it an honorable?

The commander (the separation authority) has discretion. They can award a general. And most likely will. But you have a right, as part of the chapter process to submit matters. Get your leadership to write letters of support on your behalf and include them...that is the one way you may be able to get a full honorable

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer