Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I paid 920 for a military I was very in love with him. I…

Customer Question
I paid 920 for...

I paid 920 for a military I was very in love with him. I emailed for his request, like a few days later they emailed me back saying I have to pay 700 first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

State side

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He said he had gold in his bag & couldn't get back on the plane in Doha, so he was asking 1800. For the paper work for the gold. Which I sent him. But he said the paper work was complete in New York, so he got sent back to Liberia.. so tats where he said he's @

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/15/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you are being scammed. This is an exceedingly common scam that we see on a regular basis relating to "military members" that meet people through online social media sites. These are stolen or manufactured personas run by scammers in Africa.

We know this because we've seen this exact sort of scam hundreds of times in the last few years. We also know this because the facts don't make sense. Military members don't pay to come home from deployments. They don't stop in countries like Liberia when they are flying. They don't carry bags of gold, because we can't seize things from other countries. If he were found with a bag of gold, he wouldn't be charged a fee....he'd be charged criminally. So, none of these alleged facts make sense legally. Instead, it is a very good way to trick someone into giving them money.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer