Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was in the air force for 4 years when i got out, and then…

Customer Question
I was in the air...
I was in the air force for 4 years when i got out, and then joined the air force reserves for 9 months. It then took me 3 years to get back in the Air Force. My first 4 years, I was an Telephone Equipment Specialist. In the Reserves, I was an Electronic Security Specialist. Then I spent 3 years trying to get back in the air force, and was finally admitted back in as a B-52 Crew Chief. I was a Crew Chief for 3 years. As a crew Chief, near the end of the 3 years, I tested for promotion to Technical Sergeant. I missed it by several points. The next cycle did not include testing, it just added time in grade and time in service points, plus decorations.I had received orders overseas to Turkey in my old Telephone Installer Career, of which I had not done for almost seven years. While I had just been over there for a few months, I looked at the scores, and I had made technical sergeant, but was told that those scores didnt count, and that I would now have to test as a Telephone installer.. Had I known this, I would have delayed or gotten out of these orders in order to make TSgt. It took me another 6 1/2 ears to Make Techical Sergeant E-6. Because now I was testing against people who had been in that carreer their entire career. Is there any way to contest that?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/15/2018
Military Lawyer: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Continue please
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What are you trying to accomplish here?

I am trying to get my E6 Rank established at that time frame instead of the 7 years later.

IF you can prove that there is an error in your records? You can make the request to the board of corrections for military records.

]

However, it is by no means automatic...

In order to grant a change (like increasing your rank) the board of corrections will require the applicant provide evidence of "error or injustice". Only when provided with compelling evidence of error or injustice will the board of corrections make a change to a military record. The board of corrections grants the military with a "presumption of regularity"...basically they presume the record is correct. The burden to rebut that presumption is on the applicant.

You would use this form to make the request

http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/forms/dd/dd0149.pdf

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.