Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was directed to accounting but haven't heard from anyone…

Customer Question
I was directed to...

I was directed to accounting but haven't heard from anyone in over half a day. Hi there, I am a 43 yr old man who is going through an uncontested divorce. I recently retired from the Army as an E-6 on 28 Feb 2016. I am trying to find out what my retirement is worth whether through a life expectancy value or whatever the online divorce will accept. I also need to know the marital portion that will be going to my wife. We both agreed that she will receive $675.00 a month. Thanks in advance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
3/13/2018
Military Lawyer: rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team replied 4 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Were you married the whole time you were contributing to the plan?And what state are you in here?

I was married the whole time and we are currently residing in Washington State.

S​o here what you need is a QDRO.It is an order signed by both of you and presented to the judge.The judge signs it and you submit it to military pension plan.They make two checks each month one to you and one to her.The court would divide it down the middle 50-50%.This is what it will look like more or less...http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/retirement/Divorce/QDROSample-Retired.pdf​---lawyers draft these flat fee you really need one to do this, it has to be perfect or they will reject it.

T​hese guys specialize in just this, see if they can help..http://www.qdro-law.com/​ Family lawyers don't even do these they contract them out here.I appreciate the chance to help you today, let me know if you have more.If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

50/50?. What if we agreed to $675.00 a month for the remainder of my life? This is an uncontested online divorce.

A​s far as the numbers you can get those from here...Judge is not likely to sing off on anything less than 50-50% because this is property division and as such 50-50%.I guess you can try but don't count on it.

Phone

Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time. However, Monday is our busiest day, so we recommend calling Tuesday through Friday for shorter wait times.

Toll-free:(###) ###-####/p>

Washington is a community property state. This means that with regard to Washington divorce assets, each spouse has a ½ vested interest in the property of the other spouse that should be considered in dividing Washington divorce assets or Washington divorce property.

Washington Marital Property Division - DivorceLawFirms.com

I​ have never seen a divorce judge approve anything other that 50-50% as the law above sets out its community property if you were married the whole time.Please don't shoot the messenger just being honest here.

T​hanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.