Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I just got an email from my navy reserve unit that I have a…

Customer Question
Hi, I just got...

Hi, I just got an email from my navy reserve unit that I have a DRB. I being in 9 active n 9 reseve time. I haven’t done anything wrong as far as I know. They are plan to send me DRB. I like to know should I bring a lawyer with me to this DRB? Im E6

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I just received an email notified me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The only thing occurs before this was I was injury while they send me to a military training. And Im following up for medical evaluations. I have done nothing wrong. The unit is sending me to a DRB for I havent done a thing.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/13/2018
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. A servicemember does not have right to counsel at a DRB. In addition, it is not a forum that can result in any adverse or punitive action, so there would be no need for one. If you believe that there might be an issue that if you answer questions at the DRB you could expose yourself to implicating yourself in a violation of the UCMJ, then you should refuse to make a statement.

If the DRB were to recommend any punitive actions, such as nonjudicial punishment, then once it got to the point where you had charges preferred, you would receive your written NJP rights and then have an opportunity to speak to a Defense function JAG. They couldn't represent you at NJP, but they can give you some advice about the process and your options based on your specific set of facts.

Please feel free to ask for clarification. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I don’t think there is anything solid they can hold me to? Since I didn’t commit amy crimes to speak of? Just sending a email informing the unit to recover lost money with FTC will constute a crime. Then by all means, if that they view as a crime. Wow. Time for me to leave this toxic environment. There is no need for me to stay. I got injured on the job, no support from my coc n next thing i know they send me to DRB. Wow.

Thank you for your reply. Did you have a follow up question for me?

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer