Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My husband and I got married one month before he pcs to

My husband and I...

My husband and I got married one month before he pcs to Bahrain. Iwanted to wait, but he insisted we get married before he left. Well come to find out he started an affair 3 months after arriving there. I have an email confession from the woman and pictures he took of them having sex. He is an officer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside. He has been back for 5 months and the relationship had continued thru video sex chat and I have screen shots of that as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I have not. I don’t know what to do. He had turned this whole thing on me and I angry I found out and contacted the woman. According to her he also ordered sex toys for them which are forbidden in Bahrain by people. He was able to mail order them and get them delivered to his military address

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has emotionally treated the worst and he is a psychologist in the navy supposed to help service members and he has done the worst to me disrespecting telling me I was crazy and hasn’t touched me physically since he’s been back because he was having video sex with her

3/12/2018
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

I'm sorry that you are facing this situation. What is your question concerning these facts?

My question is what happens to him if we get divorced? Should I go to his commanding officer ? I’m just not sure what my options are as I don’t know what to do. I got a raw deal. What do you advise
I don’t need a phone call. The chat is fine

The issue of divorce is not a military law question, but a state law question. However, nothing would really happen to him in the state court due to a divorce. Our country operates on a "no fault" divorce concept, so all of those issues just aren't brought up in divorces anymore. You part your ways after a division of the assets.

Now, if you were to go to the military and tell JAG and his command, there are lots of things that COULD happen. I emphasize "could" because the law does not mandate that any specific action be taken by command. An investigation may be ordered. They may discuss the matter with you some.

Then the command will make their own decision about what to do. That could be everything from doing nothing at all, all the way up to court martial (a federal criminal charge with the potential of jail time and a punitive separation).

More often, something in the middle is done, like a letter of reprimand and referral OPR that would effectively end his career.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

What is OPR?

Sorry. That is a performance report, which effects everything about an officer's career. Promotions, jobs, etc.

It's a really bad thing to get a referral OPR. Not a criminal charge or anything, but it is the end of a person's career, in most cases.

The point is that after you speak with command, you are out of the control over what happens. You can neither make the punishment more harsh nor make it less harsh. It will be entirely up to his command.

Allen M., Esq.