Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I would really like to join the U.S Air Force in hopes of…

Hi i would really...

Hi i would really like to join the U.S Air Force in hopes of being in SERE or Combat Control but about a year ago i was pulled over for speeding in washington state and my friend who was in the passenger seat had a small amount of marijuana (about 1 gram i believe) and me and him both were charged with underage marijuana trafficking. This was just a small fine but i would really like to find out if this will disqualify me for the service or what my options are. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Not yet mam, just wanted to try and get an answer before talking to a recruiter. I am honestly ashamed to even have this charge in the first place because i'd like to think i'm a pretty good kid and don't even smoke so its embarrassing to even say it happen because of my friend who got me in that situation because he had pot on him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, i just wanted to find out if this would be on my record because it was just a fine and if it would effect my eligibility for certain jobs or if i would just need to file a waiver.

3/11/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Wait...I do not understand. What do you mean "on my record"...you pled guilty to a crime, no?

Hi Philip thank you for the response and yes, I pled guilty and paid the fine on the ticket the officer issued me at the stop.

Thanks
It will be on your record. That said, it is unlikely to bar you from service. You will need a waiver (you will need to disclose this...so you will need a waiver to enter). But for something as minor as this, I doubt it will be an issue

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Great thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully it won't affect my chances of getting one of my jobs that I would like to try for. Like I said i'm a pretty good kid and never get into trouble or anything and am very athletic so maybe they will see past that to see my character over a dumb incident that should've never happen. And will do Phillip, I will make sure to give you a good rating.