Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was married to my ex spouse for 22 yrs and he served

Customer Question
I was married to...

I was married to my ex spouse for 22 yrs and he served during t

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

During time of marriage he served 10 yrs active duty and 12 yrs reserved. Now I am 62 and he will be 62 in August. We have been divorced for 19 yrs. This is all state side

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I was dependent , while he was the a time duty spouse

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have filed for half of retirement benefits 2 yrs ago and have heard nothing from the military

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/11/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Did you submit your divorce decree which indicated that you were entitled to 50% of his retirement? If you did not and do not have that, that is why you have heard nothing from the military.

Nothing about military law entitles you to 50% of your ex-husband's military retirement. For you to have any right in it, the state court would have had to order your right in the original divorce decree in such a way that DFAS could honor it.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer