Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I requested my military Records through a VA rep. After a…

Customer Question
I requested my military...

I requested my military Records through a VA rep. After a month I received a letter from records saying, “if we can find your records, we may not be able to release them to you and they may be redacted.” I am trying to get service connected disability. Is this a normal form letter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No who would I talk to?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been out of the military along time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/11/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The letter you received...was that from National Archives?
Also, what years did you serve?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1971 thru 1975

Did you file a claim already? Or are you waiting for the records first?

If you have already filed a claim? Then what you describe is not uncommon. When you file a claim, the VA will contact the National Archives to get your records. This can delay your request for records. This is why when I file claims for clients, I make sure to request the records first.

If you have not yet filed the claim? Then no...that is not a standard letter (in my experience)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer