Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

What kind of discharge will I get if I stop showing up to…

What kind of discharge...

What kind of discharge will I get if I stop showing up to drill weekends in the Army Reserves?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside Drilling monthly

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes. I am trying to push for conscientious objector status

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

3/9/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Philip. I was wondering what kind of discharge I would get if I just stopped showing up to drill weekends.

Most likely you will receive an "other than honorable" conditions discharge (OTH). This is an administrative discharge that is considered a "bad" discharge. It is possible, in theory, they could take you to a court martial (to seek jail time and a bad conduct discharge). But that is incredibly uncommon...I do not expect that they would go to the trouble to accomplish that.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Curious to know, under what circumstances would they take me to a court martial?

I have not seen it...but I can envision if you stopped going just prior to a deployment, and missed the deployment, they could pursue a court martial

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have orders to go on deployment. However, some of the soldiers from my unit started getting tasked out to other units in anticipation that those units will get deployed. I haven't been assigned to another unit nor do I see it coming in the future. If some people from the unit are preparing for it and not specifically me, would it be possible that I might be taken to a court martial?

I have never seen a reserve unit pursue a court for going awol from drill. Not once. Possible? Sure. But not likely

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer