Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son is getting read by his commander tomorrow, what does…

My son is getting...

My son is getting read by his commander tomorrow, what does that mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside he has been on profile for a medical issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not, my son has the attitude that it's the army they do what they want and he has no rights. I've tried pointing out that he has many rights, he just has to advocate for himself.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is still in medical treatment, they have talked about med boarding him or letting him go because he can't perform his job but that is because of the medical

3/7/2018
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

It can mean a few different things, depending on the context. Commanders are the issuers of legal documents in the military, so there are lots of things it could be.

It he is in trouble for some misconduct, then it could be reading a non-judicial punishment action, letter of reprimand or even charges for court martial. You didn't mention anything disciplinary, so it is probably not any of these things. It is a term used describe these things though.

If he is being considered for administrative separation related to his medical condition (more likely), then he'd be read the notification that that is what command intends to do, along with his rights in the process and the evidence that is being considered.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Thank you, ***** ***** getting read tomorrow so I may contact you after that.