Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a navy spouse and am currently going through a divorce.

Hello, I am a...

Hello, I am a navy spouse and am currently going through a divorce. My soon to be ex-husband has given me a paper to sign stating that he doesn't owe me anything financially. How can I get someone to look this over?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas, Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I have no idea who I would contact first

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I haven't been living with my husband for about 8 months due to his anger management issues and he has been collecting BAH

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, Phillip. My name is*****

Hi Leonela,

What is it you want to know about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know what I'm owed financially from divorcing my husband. Also what legal rights that I have

Can you tell me, are you living in base housing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No we were renting a house locally, but I moved out 8 months ago. He now lives in an apartment and I am living with a friend

Thanks
One more...is there a court order for support yet (a temporary support order)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't believe so

Thanks

Here is the Navy regulation that applies

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1700morale/documents/1754-030.pdf

There is a table in para 4 that shows what he has to pay you in the absence of a court order

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay great, thank you very much

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer