Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son is finished with USMC boot camp but is having back…

My son is finished...

My son is finished with USMC boot camp but is having back problems. He went to the doctor on base and they told him he will be discharged with and ELS. Does he get any benefits? What will this do to his future?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not personally. my son has only spoken to the doctor

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, how long ago did he start bootcamp (how many weeks/months ago)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He shipped out on Nov 27th and graduated USMC Feb 23rd

Thanks
I ask because there is a very limited window where they can issue an ELS...but he is in the window. A few mins please...I have some thoughts and will type them up...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I am typing an answer...but thought I would offer a phone call...I can offer for a nominal additional cost ($5). Let me know your preference

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please just type your answers

Thank you for your patience

Benefits? HE will be eligible for a few...but most require 2 years or more service.

But he may be entitled to "compensation" from the VA (veterans administration). VA compensation is, essentially, workers compensation. IF he was injured in service, and the injury persists after service, he should file for compensation. He can do so when he gets home, with your county veterans services officer.

He will also qualify for "pension"...this is a great program that helps elderly vets with costs of medical care.

He may qualify for a reduced GI bill...you need 2 years for the full benefit...but his service will likely qualify him for a partial benefit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ive read that he will not receive any benefits. No VA not even a GI Bill. He fractured his back 2 years ago and was cleared through physicals to enlist, while in bootcamp he fell on a heater and hurt his back.

Ok...well, I can not counter "I have read" unless you point me to the resource. I am a service officer...so I deal with this issue daily. This is why I had offered a phone call...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Thank you

Wow...why would you do such a thing?

Seriously...I provide you an accurate answer and you rate as poor service? Care to share?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because I tried to explain what happened & you said you couldn’t respond

Hmm...that is not what I am reading...I provided an accurate answer. You stated that your understanding was different than mine, without providing any references...

I responded indicating as much. And you rated poor service and opened a new question

I do my level best to provide accurate answers in a professional manner. I expect customers to do the same. I wish you the best.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a right to a second opinion

Again, I wish you the best with that...

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to apologize for my responses yesterday. I was very upset over all this. I changed your rating.

No worries. I fully understand the stress associated with this as a parent. :)

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer