Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son is 21 and his Dad and stepmother stopped his

Customer Question
My son is 21...

My son is 21 and his Dad and stepmother stopped his insurance because he's gay? What can I Do as his mother?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what I can do to help my son

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
3/7/2018
Military Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

There unfortunately isn't any law that requires parents to provide health insurance for their adult children. It's absolutely wrong, but unless your son is employed by his father or stepmother, it's not illegal. With that said, most insurance companies do not allow a person to be dropped outside of the annual enrollment period, which is usually at the end of the year. Your son may want to contact the insurance company directly to find out how long he is still covered. If the father lied to remove him early, it may be possible to get reinstated, at least until annual enrollment begins again.

You do have the ability to put him on your own health insurance, if you have your own plan. If you have a court order that required the father to provide health insurance for your son beyond his 21st birthday, he is in contempt of court. You could file a motion asking the judge to order him to continue providing insurance through the date originally stated in the order.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney