Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am trying to understand my father's honorable discharge…

Hello. I am trying...

Hello. I am trying to understand my father's honorable discharge from the Air Force in 1952. In the box titled "Reason and Authority for Separation," it reads: AFL 35-20 AFR 35-49. Can you help me understand what this means? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

How would I do that?

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

AFL 35-20 AFR 35-49 refer to LONG out of date regulations. These regulations are no longer in print, and no longer apply. You will not find copies of them on the internet.

They do refer to an "administrative" separation...was your father separated prior to the end of his enlisted contract?

Hi. Yes, he enlisted at age 17-1/2 and served 1-1/2 of a four-year enlistment.

THanks

That confirms that he was separated early. What does it say for "characterization" of discharge? "honorable"; "general"; "UD"?

Honorable

Thanks

Then it was not for misconduct...can you tell me, was he injured in service? Did he ever receive care from the VA after service?

No injury. But appendicitis just before discharge. Discharge came from hospital. Would the Air Force of the Korean War era kick someone out for appendicitis ?

I bet that was it. The rules allow the military to separate a member if they have a condition that limits their ability to perform their duties...so they can separate for this. I would have been an honorable discharge....so I bet that was the reason

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Ok. Thanks. But is there any way to answer my original question about what his discharge code means? I sort of suspected the appendicitis, but wanted to understand the code from the perspective of the Air Force.

There is not...that is not, actually, a "code"...that is a "basis". And the problem you have is that the AFL (Air Force Letter) and the AFR (Air Force Regulation) are LONG gone...out of print.

I wish I had better news...but these regulations are no longer in force...and not available to review. And more important, even if you had the regulation and letter, it still is likely you would not know, for sure...since they did not state which paragraph of the regulation that there were relying on.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer