Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My deceased husband is a retired Vet and I am looking at the…

My deceased husband is...

My deceased husband is a retired Vet and I am looking at the Hartwood Act in regards ***** ***** of my grandson's using it. None of our children did

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside. He passed away in 2004

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Not sure who we should talk to. He was discharged in 1962

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As I said, I just need who we need to talk to or my son to talk to and what paperwork he would need. I have all my husbands papers still

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

What do you mean "Hartwood act"?

I am sorry. Hazelwood Act.
I cannot afford to add more fees. Who do I or my son need to talk to about my grandson using this benefit from their grandfather's service. None of the family has used it yet
I do not wish to switch to a live call. Are you able to give me an answer or where else do I look?

You can ignore the phone call request...that is sent automatically.

Please give me a few mins to respond to you question.

ok

I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. Under TX law, Grandchildren are not eligible for the Hazelwood Act unless they have been legally adopted by the grandparent/veteran and court documents can be produced in evidence of this. What you are describing, if you never adopted the grandchild as you child? It is not possible to obtain benefits under this law

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can get these benefits, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Ok, thank you. That is kind of what I thought when I was told to check on it. No, I didn't adopt my grandson but we were told to check this out. I didn't know about our children being able to get this grant but too late now. They are both well educated. Thank you for your time.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer