Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I recently got in trouble for being UA three times sleeping…

Customer Question
Hello I recently got...

Hello I recently got in trouble for being UA three times sleeping in uniform and falsifying information. My LPO told me he sent the report to the legal office. What happens next?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Only my LCPO haven't heard anything from legal

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: Military Law
2/6/2018
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 13 days ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. No one but the Command can tell you what will actually happen next. However, I can tell you what might happen.

Your Command may just send you to a DRB and it could be handled at that level. Or you might be recommended for NJP and sent through XOI and on to NJP with the Commanding Officer. My guess is that if legal gathers evidence that supports the charges, you will go to NJP and punished. If you would like to tell me what your rank is and what branch of service is I can tell you what the potential punishment could be at NJP.

If you choose not to do that and I have answered your question, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for working with you today. Thank you

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Navy E-1 if they decide to send me to NJP can I request a court martial?

Are you attached to an afloat command?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
No I'm currently in A School at naval station Great Lakes

Then yes, you can refuse NJP and request court-martial, however, I would strongly urge you to think twice before doing that and for certain you need to sit down with the local JAG defense function to speak to them before you decide to do that. You will have a chance to do that if and when you get that paperwork.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thank you ma'am

You're very welcome.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer