Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have a question- I am an army reserve officer with 19

Customer Question
I have a question-...

I have a question- I am an army reserve officer with 19 years of service. My husband is deployed and now they are trying to deploy me. I have found that during his absence our family care plan does not work. I would like to retire but I hit 20 years January 2019. What are my options here. If I tell them I do not have a family care plan would they be able to separate me at this point since I have over 18 years of service?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes

Submitted: 16 days ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 16 days ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, are you currently on active duty? Or in a reserve status?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Am I actually able to retire if I do not have a family care plan?

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I am an army reserve officer with 19 years of service. My husband is deployed and now they are trying to deploy me. I have found that during his absence our family care plan does not work. I would like to retire but I hit 20 years January 2019. What are my options here. If I tell them I do not have a family care plan would they be able to separate me at this point since I have over 18 years of service?

Thanks
They can separate you. Absolutely...IF you can not provide a valid care plan, the army can separate you regardless of how much time you have (even if you had 19.5 years...they can separate for this)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer