Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Will the IG listen and use an audio recording with the

Will the IG listen...

Will the IG listen and use an audio recording with the voices of two active duty members admitting that they are currently having an extra-marital affair?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I am retired AF. The individuals in question are my wife (AF) and soldier in the Army. Two different base locations.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The voice recordings provide very credible evidence between the two of them. They also admitted that they have email traffic between them via the government email system. They also have admitted to having very detailed pictures and text messages on their cellular phone proving their affair.

1/18/2018
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You want to know what ? If you can report a crime to IG?

I am retired AF and my wife is having an affair with a soldier in the Army. I have an audio recording with their voices speaking to one another and to another individual admitting that they are currently having an extra-marital affair. I would like to report this adultery to the IG but I'm not sure if the military will listen or use voice recordings as evidence of the affair. The recording specifically states that they have explicit text messages ad they use government computers to communicate as well. She has moved out of the home and left me with the children and we do not have an official separation agreement on file. Id like to know what course of action can I take and if my evidence is credible?

The IG is not where to take this...you need to go to the commander. The commander (the battalion or squadron commander for the solder in question) has the authority to investigate this. I would provide the evidence to them...and I would expect them to investigate the allegations

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Please call me on at number(###) ###-####

That # is no good...

Sorry, it is(###) ###-####

now it rings with no answer...

is there a reason you are not answering the phone?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Its not ringing, please use(###) ###-####

rate this