Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Mr.. I’m currently and IET soldier in AIT here in Ft

Hello Mr. Simmons. I’m currently...
Hello Mr. Simmons. I’m currently and IET soldier in AIT here in Ft Huachuca AZ and my component is the Army national guard. I have been suffering from depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I went to sick call for it and am now hoping for separation from the army. But my doctor said that it isn’t up to the commander here in my company but instead the commander attached to my unit in my state since I’m in the national guard. Is this true and either way should I rather just wait until the doctor herself seems me unfit? I’m not sure what to do next because I’m certain that being in the military has been unhealthy for me.
1/14/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I agree with the doctor...it is your "parent command" that has authority on this. That is, if you were to be processed for separation, that must come from your commanding officer (the officer who commands your battalion in your home state)

Now...what you are describing, if you have a medical issue that limits your ability to perform your duties? I would fully expect that your battalion commander will chapter you out.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer