Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My dad Herbert L Sr. was retired from the Air Force and he…

Customer Question
My dad Herbert L...

My dad Herbert L Barnes Sr. was retired from the Air Force and he has now died. I don't know if ha had a will or anything, and I was wondering if I was entitled to anything from him, my name is***** Jr he died suddenly and we haven't spoken in a few years, so I don't know. Can you help with anything..

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I live in Colorado and he lived in Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was in the ARNG for 10 years but I don't think that means anything today.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

While he certainly may have had his will done by the military, we do not retain a copy. This is because a copy of a will has no force and effect, only the original.

You would have to locate his original will in order to know if he left you anything. We certainly instruct military members and retirees to make their will's location known to their personal representative, but we can take no action to ensure that happens. It is the responsibility of the will holder.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.