Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was injured while on deployment. USAFR has ruled my injury…

Customer Question
I was injured while...

I was injured while on deployment. USAFR has ruled my injury in the line of duty but after I my orders ended. so I have a break in service. If I request medcon, will i have to seek my care through a military provider?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I am concern if I have to go through a local MTF, It will delay my care. As I am already established with a specialist.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I spoke with the Medical unit assigned to my wing. who just niether affirmed or denied.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
1/9/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean by

If I request medcon, will i have to seek my care through a military provider

What does that mean?

I understand that AF policy provides for members on active duty, who are injured, they can be retained on active duty to care for the injury...are you asking if you can force the AF to pay your civilian doctor bills?

I am a reservist. When we return if we are being treated we are to be retained on orders until cleared. My Wing did not do this because the LOD was not in place. Because I was released from duty, I had to transfer care to the civilian sector. I was just informed that my injury/illness was ruled in line of duty. I have the option of going back on military orders, which is preferred so I don’t use my civilian leave. The problem would be if I have to receive care from the military because that would mean starting from square one. They have already admitted to misplacing my paperwork. I want to complete my care without delays and question if this can be done on medical continuation orders (MEDCON).

Thanks
The AF has a very liberal policy in this regard (they allow you to return to service if you have been released). So you can absolutely avail yourself of this and request to return. It is worth noting this policy is discretionary...the other services do not even have such a policy allowing return to active duty after release.

As for care?
While on active duty you are entitled to care, through military medical providers, at no cost.

If you want to use your civilian doctors? You will need to pay for that. If you are enrolled in TRICARE that will defer the cost.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil