Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I’ve been in ait for 3 weeks and been depressed wanting to…

Customer Question
I’ve been in ait...

I’ve been in ait for 3 weeks and been depressed wanting to go awol

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed?

No I’ve talked with my 1st sergeant and commander and they’re trying to keep me. But I went to see if I’m actually depressed and the doctor said I was I haven’t spoken with the commander since but I need to go home asap

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes my 1st sergeant and commander

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How to leave asap

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
1/8/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I understand your desire to leave soon, but you have to understand that the military doesn't work like that. There is no ability for you to leave, without either severely damaging the entirety of your future or having your command be on board with it.

You have gone to medical, so that is the positive first step. You need to continue working with medical, for two reasons. First, because your health is at risk, so it is just smart to work with medical. Second, because if your command is going to be on board with your separation, it is going to be because you cooperated with medical and medical still felt that separation was the best course.

There simply is no magic, get out of the military quick option. That was a myth when I was enlisted, over 24 years ago, and it is still a myth now, as I work as a JAG officer.

The medical/mental health option is your best, ***** ***** potentially fastest option for separation, but you have to stick with it.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.