Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I got diagnosed with an avoidant personality disorder; what…

Customer Question
I got diagnosed with...

I got diagnosed with an avoidant personality disorder; what effectI was diagnosed with a dependent personality disorder and adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood on my military record of it wasn’t reported when I signed my ROTC contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I’ve briefly talked to CO about my diagnosis and I believed that it was linked to me being depressed from my spouse and family for so long. He told me that I would not be recommended for a compassionate reassignment back to the states and he didn’t state whether or not he was going to support a discharge

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
1/6/2018
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Legally, they don't have to separate you. The diagnosis can require treatment and your command has to technically give those a chance to work, unless medical indicated that there was no chance for recovery of any sort.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer