Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have a question about a jacked up platoon sgt in my unit.

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about a jacked up platoon sgt in my unit

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside, national guard

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
1/4/2018
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize. I have been away from my phone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am dealing with/have been dealing with my platoon sgt in the national guard for going on 6 yrs now basically singling me out and single handedly ruining my chances of enjoying my time in service. I will try to give a few examples. I should have wrote things down over time I suppose. So out of my platoon, this 20 yr vet SFC singles me out in several ways. Giving only me shit, for no reason. I am never late, I never disrespect, I do what I need to. I think he figured I am an easy target because I am mostly quiet...I also think it annoys him that I do not sit around making foul, disgusting comments at each drill. I also have pretty bad anxiety to where when we drill for extendes periods of time I am to myself... he views this as odd or not being a team player. Recently I finished the police academy (my co excused my drills for this). At the end tgere was a problem and I had to miss an additional one day drill (a Christmas party) because of problems with student to instructor ratio in the academy we all had to make it up to graduate. His response when I told him was, "What a f**king surprise." I also provides documentation from my academy commander. Now, was that an appropriate responae from him? I am now drilling since being done with the academy. He asked if I will be there, I jokingly responded with, "Nah, figured I would skip lol." Then I immediately said, "Yes I will be there." His response to me? "I am going to f**king slap you." I wanted to tell him what I thought... but didn't.
That sounds to me like a threat/menacing to me. Of course, I did not say anything because I am afraid of the repercussions. He is trying his hardest to make my last 4 months in service to be as miserable as possible. It is obvious, others in my platoon would agree that he has his favorites. He lets 2 females call him by his name, he also lets them talk back jokingly...if I did this it would be the end for me. This is only about 2 or 3 drills worth, if I had the guts to put my phone on record at drill...he would probably be looking at a lot of trouble. Again, I wouldn't because I am afraid of consequences. Another example would be him adding his own letters into my last name, or making it sound derogatory in his own way. To me, its disrespectful because it is my last name, my father's name. The next drill we are to report at 0800, unless you have an apft then it ia 0600. Well, he tells me to report at 0600 (I have no apft). He says, because "I owe him." Now, I am no cry baby or whimp. It just seems to me like this is all unacceptable behavior coming from a Readiness NCO/Platoon Sgt. He is soley responsible for my hatred of drill, the sole reason I wouldn't think about reenlisting even if I was offered $10k. I have only 4 months left. What can I do to ride these last few drills any smoother? I am guessing there is nothing I can do anyways. The military is a good ol' boys club, always will be. Good people like me could not enjoy our time in service because of indecent, power hungry, human beings like himself.

Thank you

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer