Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

How can I fight NJP as a witness for a coworker?For example,

an 05 or 06 reported...
How can I fight NJP as a witness for a coworker?For example, an 05 or 06 reported that a driver of a military vehicle was speeding, driving recklessly and made obscene gestures while to an officer (a man in civilian clothing driving another vehicle) the highway?I was the passenger in the vehicle and none of the above took place. Is the O5 or O6 statement unchallengeable by two witnesses? Or is what the Officer said happened, and there isn’t anything we can do to refute the officers claims.
1/4/2018
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Certainly, your testimony can be helpful. However, you have to understand that law doesn't really work mathematically. Two people's statement against one person's statement doesn't automatically win.

You can try to refute the officer's claims, but when the commander considering the evidence looks at it, the commander will ask what everyone's motivation is to give a statement. If you are friends with your co-worker, it is not unreasonable to believe your statement less reliable because you may be motivated by friendship.

Now, that being said, if the O-5 statement doesn't make much sense, then certainly your testimony can help with that.

I just think the issue here is that you can't look at it mathematically, and have to understand that the person ruling on the NJP will have to consider what evidence is the most compelling.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer