Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I met someone online claiming to be a sergeant in the

Customer Question
Hi I met...

Hi I met someone online claiming to be a sergeant in the military and wanted me to apply for emergency leave is that the correct protocol and should there be any payment involved? He have sent numerous pictures that shows his name tag how do I know if it is him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I am stateside I was given the name of the bank along with the bank info and the name that the account is in

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I don't know how to do so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
1/4/2018
Military Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. Dont' send a penny. If he's suggesting some payment is required, it's clearly a scam as there should be none. This is an ongoing scam with people claiming to be army personnel and scamming people for money. The army is well aware of this and has many websites warning against these schemes. Here is one: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney