Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I’m in the navy and am having issues fulfilling my family…

Customer Question
Hi, I’m in the...

Hi, I’m in the navy and am having issues fulfilling my family care plan due to changes within my caregivers. They have become unavailable to watch my daughter for the upcomind deployment in April. My care plan had me parents and my daughters -dads parents on it. They have all become unavailable. I notified my command and they said i have to get letters of some sort from all of the people i have asked to watch my daughter(even outside of the ones in my FCP) stating why they can’t watch my child, then we will proceed with putting forth a package for not having a family care plan. My coordinator keeps telling me that there’s no guarantee that the navy will pick what’s in my best interest. And my concern is also that i won’t have an answer before our deployment in 2 months. What are the chances the navy will sent me from being separated or relocated & how long until i have an answer? Thank you for your time .

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes. They have been notified

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
1/1/2018
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your questions. However, I am not exactly clear on what you were asking in the following question "What are the chances the navy will sent me from being separated..." If you are asking what are the chances that the Navy won't separate you for lack of a parenting plan, then the answer is that there is some chance. I say that because it is the Navy's discretion what they do with a servicemember who fails to have a parenting plan in place. You can read the Navy Regulation discussing this issue at the following link and see what the Command's options are: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1900separation/documents/1910-124.pdf

As far as how long before a decision is made, that really depends on the administrative work load of the Command and Headquarters and how soon you can produce the information they want. Normally though, decisions can come pretty fast once all of the paperwork is in. Anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. You might also want to read the following brief that Navy JAG has prepared on this issue, which should answer many of your general questions about what can happen in your case: http://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/documents/PreventativeLawSeries-FamilyCarePlan_Sep09.pdf

Please feel free to ask for clarification once you have read both of the references I provided. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 1st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer