Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was given a counseling with a recommendation for an

Customer Question
I was given a...

I was given a counseling with a recommendation for an artical 15. It was because i was 8n the gym at 1800 with out a fresh shave. Ie 5 oclock shadow. The sgt major was the one who caught me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Oversees

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I havr an early 4am towershift so i wake early and by 1800 i have some wiskers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah my platoon sgt was called and my section sgr was the one who wrote the counseling. I was wondering if i should requests a trial by court martial if they try and artical 15

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/31/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Demanding trial by court martial is always dangerous, because you are flirting with a federal conviction over something so stupid. At Article 15, a commander would be deciding what to do here. I would suspect that a commander and the JAG in this case would talk and that an Article 15 wouldn't really happen. I hear senior enlisted threaten them all the time, but they don't control this. Commanders do and commanders would be talked out of this by JAG.

However, if they do proceed, you can demand trial. The problem there is that your defense here does not address the rule concerning dress and appearance. Nothing in the rule says "shave once and day and you're good." It states that you must be clean shaven while in uniform. We had people have to bring a shaver to work, because they would need to shave again by the afternoon, if they were on a longer shift.

The point here is that your defense really goes more to why you shouldn't be punished very much; not to "not guilty" and if you demand trial by court martial, you could very well be convicted but lightly punished. The conviction would kill your career and civilian prospects too. It would be better to take an Article 15 and make the same argument to your commander.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.