Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a enlisted marine in the marine corps an E3 to be

Customer Question
Hello I am a enlisted...
Hello I am a enlisted marine in the marine corps an E3 to be exact. Tonight I called PMO on a Japanese local who was at our barracks under suspicion that she may be drinking and driving, I'm stationed in Okinawa and she's always at our barracks dating multiple marines. I've actually talked to her before and somewhat know her. I had told my corporals, that sometimes I see her drink and then drive out in town and on base. They told me if I ever think she's been drinking to just call the police just in case. Well recently this girl basically told my chain of command that myself and about 5 other marines violated liberty policy. We have yet to be punished or be found guilty it's an I'm going situation. Well I still see her at the barracks and I've been on the look out to make sure she isn't drinking and driving because even though she did try to get me in trouble I still personally believe that it's wrong and dangerous and even if I hadn't been in trouble because she told our command I would still report it if I had suspicion she had been DUI. Well multiple claimed to see her drinking and I seen a guy hanging out of her car vomiting and he was totally unresponsive and there were a bunch of drunken marines trying to help get this guy back in the car. My corporals say one of us should call PMO just to make sure she isn't actually drunk before she leaves. (My ncos were calling us telling us this since they live off base) now I called gave them my name and told them she was possibly drunk and they should just check to make sure. I told them I also wanted to be anonymous and I was just giving a tip. Also at the same time I was unaware another person had called and told them the same Thing. He just gave the details and hung up without giving them his name, I did not know this until later. So the MPs arrive and check on her, they told her my name and said I had called to say she was drinking in driving. Which I told them I wasn't completely sure she was but she was being erratic and had multiple severely drunk people in the car and she kept leaving coming and driving back. She immediately tells them that my friends and myself were just trying to get her in trouble and making false claims. The gunnery sergeant military cop proceeds to in front of everyone say I abused emergency services, even though I told him I was just making sure and told Them way earlier she was possibly drinking and to make sure. He Then tried to pretty much embarrass me in front of everyone. Told me i was just mad at her and abused emergency services. He then asked if I had anything sharp in my pocket and to put my hands on my head, I asked what I was under arrest for and I asked for legal representation because no way this is professional and possibly illegal. So while I stood there With my feet crossed hands on my head he got close and told me he wasn't playing with me and to never call the police again or next time I'll come with him. So he did a mock arrest against me because he knew I hadn't broken the law and I feel he tried to intimidate me and embarrass me. The military says always do the right thing, and i honestly believed I was. I could have easily not given my name and info but I was trying to make a legitimate complaint. Idk if they tested the girl for alcohol they just said she seemed fine. So I'm not allowed to report legitimate worries or violations just because the girl had complained against me in the past? If someone else is would have done it, itn would of all been okay? My ncos are trying to get his badge number and tell my chain of command of his actions. What are my options?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 day by:
12/31/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a specific question regarding this? What do you mean "what are my options"? What does that mean Marine? Are you asking if you can report the Gunny for this?

sorry for not adding in what I actually wanted to do. Yes can I report the gunnery sergeant

You can...that is, you can report this Marine, to his chain of command. What you are describing, is, arguably, a violation of Art 93, UCMJ. You can report this and request he be prosecuted. You can, certainly, report future instances of misconduct you witness...despite what this one Gunnery Sergeant has claimed.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer